Tuesday, December 7, 2010

You're all I want

My husband and I were just worshiping and he began singing a song by Lifehouse entitled "You're All I Want." The words to the bridge are "'cause you're all I want, You're all I need, You're everything, oh everything." It made me think - these words are easy to say, but do we truly mean them?

It is amazingly easy to say God You are all I want - You mean everything to me. The question is, do we truly mean it? Is God EVERYTHING? Is God all I NEED? Is God all I WANT? When I look deep down into my soul, is God my primary focus? Is my heart undivided - focused completely on God?

I cannot help but think of the story of the rich man in Matthew 19:16-28. This man comes to Jesus and says what do I need to do to inherit eternal life? Jesus answered keep the commandments. The man retorts, yes I have kept all of those. Jesus replies with an answer that many of us find hard to hear - he says sell your possessions and give to the poor. Upon hearing these words, the rich man walked away because he had great wealth.

Is God truly all we want? Would we be willing to give up everything to follow God? Are we willing to drop our careers and our families like the disciples did, in response to God's calling? Are we truly open to living with undivided hearts?

No comments:

Post a Comment