Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A word from Jeremiah...

So here I am, about to post a blog, but I am in such a funk I can barely force a smile. Why? I have no idea. Just one of those "I hate life" days. No particular reason, just a mood. It is in this mindset that I cannot stop thinking about the word of God Jeremiah prophesied to the Israelites in Jeremiah 29.

Jeremiah relayed this message:
“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

This verse is scattered throughout yearbooks, letters, and sermons. It is such an encouragement to us – that God has great plans in store. As I read Jeremiah the other day, I came across this verse and its context astounded me. In Jeremiah chapter 29 we have the Israelites in exile. They are not in their homes – and do not have their temple. They are living in foreign land and are definitely not enjoying times of hope and prosperity.

Jeremiah wrote this to the survivors in Babylon that king Nebuchadnezzar had taken out of exile. This is what Jeremiah prophesied:

"Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. 6 Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. 7 Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper."

Can you imagine? The Babylonians have uprooted them from everything- all the Israelites have left is hope that God will deliver them. Now, God instructs them to settle in to the new culture – make families – and seek peace with the Babylonians. I cannot imagine being forced to move to another country and God telling me to settle there. It is in this context that God says I know the plans I have for you – plans to prosper and give you hope.

When I think of this verse my mind drifts to a future full of promise, hope, and peace. Yet in this context, It does not seem like the Israelites felt any of these blessings. Even though they did not understand their situation, even though they were not happy, even though they did not have their native homes – God promised them hope.

This is such an encouragement to me. It does not take long for me to think of times in my life when I could not understand why things happened, or why I had to endure difficult times. Yet through these circumstances God says it is okay, I am here with you. Seek peace – do My will – and I know your future which has greatness wrapped right into it.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Erin. I often think about the chapter in Jeremiah and I love the insights you have shared! Love you!

    ReplyDelete