Thursday, September 23, 2010

Enough

So this has been one of those weeks. You know the type – Satan has been attacking me from every angle possible. Now let me tell you, I am a firm believer that a lot of times Satan does not even need to do anything because we bring ourselves down, but my week is definitely the work of the great deceiver. You see I know this because it is always the same – a barrage of thoughts. You aren’t good enough – you aren’t smart enough – you aren’t a leader – no one cares – you just aren’t enough. Finally I realized that one part of these lies rings true – I am not enough, nor will I ever be enough. And guess what, you are not enough either – Mother Theresa, Paul, Moses, Billy Graham – not enough. We can never be enough.

Romans 6:23 says “but the wages of sin is death.” Earlier, Paul says in Romans 3:23 “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” We are flawed – sinful human beings. I can never be – and you can never be - enough. But thank God there is a part b to Romans 6:23 that asserts “but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord.” Can anyone give a resounding AMEN to that??
I mean really, lets look at the Old Testament law. We cannot covet – lie – steal – pretty sure that we have all done one, if not all of those. Then Jesus comes and raises the stakes. This is what Jesus declares in Matthew 5:
21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother[b]will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,[c]' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell

Really? I was having a hard enough time trying to fulfill the commandments! Now my thoughts count – I am doomed! I can never be enough. But somehow, out of an astounding gift of grace, God stepped in and said you are not enough but I still love you. Not only do I love you, but I want you to follow me – to have eternal life even though you deserve death. Amen and Hallelujah – we have a great redeemer that loves us even though we are not enough. Satan’s lies can never trump the Truth that even though we are not enough, God says you are a crown in His hand. Praise God – He has made us enough!

“3 You will be a crown of splendor in the LORD's hand,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.” Isaiah 62:3

No comments:

Post a Comment