Sunday, March 13, 2011

Are we Jesus Freaks?

In the book Jesus Freaks, there is a humble story of a Russian Captain in Romania during the 1940's. This narrative reads:

"Christianity has become dramatic with us," wrote Pastor Richard Wurmbrand, a leader of the underground church in Communist Romania. "When Christians in free countries win a soul for Christ, the new believer may become a member of a quietly living church. But when those in captive nations win someone, we know that he may have to go to prison and that his children may become orphans. The joy of having brought someone to Christ is always mixed with this feeling that there is a price that must be paid.

"When I was still living behind the Iron Curtain, I had met a Russian captain. He loved God, he longed after God, but he had never seen a Bible. He had never attended religious services. He had no religious education, but he loved God without the slightest knowledge of Him.

I read to him the Sermon on the Mount and the parables of Jesus. After hearing them, he danced around the room in rapturous joy, proclaiming, 'What a wonderful beauty! How could I love without knowing this Christ?' It was the first time that I saw someone jubilating in Christ.

Then I made a mistake. I read to him the passion and crucifixion of Christ, without having prepared him for this. He had not expected it. When he heard how Christ was beaten, how He was crucified, and that in the end He died, he fell in an armchair and began to weep bitterly. He had believed in a Savior and now his Savior was dead!

I looked at him and was ashamed that I had called myself a Christian and a pastor, a teacher of others. I had never shared the sufferings of Christ as this Russian officer now shared them. Looking at him was, for me, like seeing Mary Magdalene weeping at the foot of the cross or at the empty tomb.

Then I read to him the story of the resurrection. When he heard this wonderful news, that the Savior arose form the tomb, he slapped his knees, and shouted for joy: 'He is alive! He is alive!' Again he danced around the room, overwhelmed with happiness!"

As I read this story, I cannot help but remember a day as I was working at Family Christian. As I stacked the new books, I noticed a little boy slumped and crying under a picture that portrayed Jesus on the cross. Although I passed this painting daily, it never moved me in this way. As I lingered, I heard the boy sobbing and telling his mom "look Jesus has a boo boo."

I just wonder - are we numb to that? Why don't we dance with joy upon the hearing of the resurrection, or mourn upon the truth of the crucifixion? Do we wear crosses as mere jewelry, hang nice photos of Jesus, and never really get it? Are we missing the point? The truth is that Jesus is real - and therefore the crucifixion and resurrection are just as real. During this Lenten season we are called to reflect on our sins, and as we do that how can we keep from leaping with joy over the promise of grace offered through the cross? It is easy to grow numb - to read the words for a thousandth time, once again partaking in the Eucharist and forget that our Savior did die for sinners such as us, only to rise again creating the beautiful story that brings salvation to such wretched sinners like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment