Saturday, February 5, 2011

Let's Get Salty


Some Sundays the children's sermon speaks more to me than anything else. You know what I mean - truth told in a child like manner that carries tremendous depth. Needless to say, that happens to me a lot. Since the Super Bowl is upon us, Jason chose to teach a children's sermon on commercials. We all know that is the best part of the game! His message centered upon the fact that we should be commercials for God. Like I said, simple yet convicting.

During the Sermon on the Mount Jesus declared, "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt looses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden." (Matthew 5:13-14)

This sounds great until we realize that quite often this falls far short of being easy. Sometimes, I have no desire to be the salt or the light. Some days my "commercial of God" isn't selling much of anything. Hopefully someone can concur with me on that one! This conundrum led Jason to write a song which he entitled "Don't Wanna." I find the following verses particularly poignant:

Don't wanna be the light in this darkness tonight
wanna stay in the comfort of my home
than I remember you voice saying I am calling -
you are not your own

Don't wanna be the salt in this lost world today
just wanna do things my way
then I am reminded I am bought with a price
You willingly gave Your life.

Being salt and light is a choice. A conscious decision to be Christ, even when we do not feel like it. For many people, the only Jesus they will ever see is in us. Is what they see something different? A light on the hill that they cannot ignore? Imagine the potential if we choose to be just a little bit "saltier." For some reason beyond comprehension, God uses us as a vehicle for His truth. Although we often do not feel like it, we are called to be a walking commercial for God. A stellar example was John Wesley. He once declared, "I set myself on fire and people come to watch me burn." Are you on fire?

*To listen to Jason's song simply click the previous highlighted title or visit www.myspace.com/jasonowensband

No comments:

Post a Comment